Mr. Petty has substantial experience representing healthcare professionals and institutions in complex medical malpractice litigation in both state and federal court. His practice includes defense of individual physicians, nurse practitioners, nurse, and other health care providers in all areas of medicine as well as dentistry. He has first chair jury trial experience in Baltimore City and its surrounding counties and has also represented clients in matters in Maryland’s appellate courts.
Mr. Petty represents health care providers before the Maryland Board of Physicians, Board of Nursing, and Board of Dental Examiners.
Mr. Petty also has experience defending individuals accused of federal Fraudulent Claims Act violations, including health care providers accused of Medicare and Medicaid Fraud.
Mr. Petty also has extensive experience in general litigation, having represented individuals, business entities, insurers, and homeowners in personal injury and contract actions, and has experience in insurance coverage work stemming from disputed coverage situations arising out of Auto, Business General Liability, Landlord, Homeowner’s, Condominium Association and General Contractor’s insurance policies.
Where appropriate, Mr. Petty has successfully litigated Plaintiffs’ claims suffered by individuals seriously injured in accidents. He is one of the few attorneys who has successfully obtained a finding by the Maryland Insurance Administration of Bad Faith against a national auto insurance distributor for failing to settle his client’s claims in good faith.
Since 2006, Mr. Petty has been a member of the Maryland Bar Association’s Ethics Committee and has authored ethics opinions published to guide attorneys in their practices. He is a regular contributor to the Ethics Committee hotline and welcomes inquiries by attorneys seeking ethics guidance.
- Brigham Young University (J.D. 2002, magna cum laude)
- University of Utah (B.A., 1999)
- Maryland, 2002
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association
- Member: Baltimore County Bar Association
- The Maryland Bar Foundation: Fellow
- Volunteer Attorney: Maryland Volunteer Legal Services, 2006-present
- Selected for inclusion in “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2009-2014
- Committee Member, Maryland State Bar Association Ethics Committee, 2006 — present
- Judicial Clerk for the Honorable Kathleen G. Cox, Circuit Court for Baltimore County, 2002-2003.
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
A.M. Best’s Insurance Attorneys