David N. Pessin
Areas of Practice
“I am amazed at how many of my client meetings end with my clients offering me a hug instead of a handshake.”
David is the Co-Founding Member of Pessin Katz Law, P.A. (PK Law) and has been practicing law for over 36 years.
David began his legal career in estate and business planning and during his decades of practice in those fields has assisted clients and their families from all walks of life – not only the fortunate who have substantial wealth, but also those of more modest wealth who also deserve protection – preserve and maintain their personal and business assets from erosion which could result from taxes; family fights; improper, outdated, incomplete or inappropriate planning; the decimating cost of long term care; probate; marital issues; and all other forms of personal or professional liability.
David understands the importance of personal meetings with his clients and spends time with each of his clients asking questions and listening to answers. David then applies his knowledge in the use of wills, powers of attorney, healthcare directives, various types of trusts, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, estate and gift tax planning strategies, guardianships and Medicaid qualification to meet his clients’ wealth preservation needs. “Wealth Preservation” to David is the integration of a clients’ estate planning; protection of assets including life savings, retirement, real estate and intellectual property; and business planning.
David’s background includes teaching at the University of Baltimore School of Law. He prides himself on explaining sometimes complex and frightening legal and financial concepts in ways his clients can fully understand the value of their planning and the implications of failing to plan properly.
David is also one of the few attorneys in the area who regularly plans for and advises professional athletes and broadcasters in personal and business matters and has established a solid reputation as a valuable resource for American and international athletes and broadcasters. Some of David’s high-profile clients include Olympian, Michael Phelps; former NBA Point Guard and current NBA coach, Sam Cassell; Mixed Martial Arts Fighter, Tito Ortiz; Baltimore Orioles Broadcaster, Fred Manfra; Tampa Bay Rays Broadcaster, Andy Freed; University of Maryland and NBA Basketball Star Maryland Sports Radio Network broadcaster and financial advisor, Walt Williams; ABC 7’s Veronica Johnson; University of Maryland and NBA basketball player, Harvard Law School Graduate, Knight Commission Member and ESPN broadcaster Len Elmore; and NBC 4 weather broadcaster, Chuck Bell.
David is available to present seminars on estate planning, estate and gift tax planning and other wealth preservation topics. David is certified to present classes on estate planning that provide continuing education credits (CEUs) for financial planners and accountants. Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, American Jurisprudence Awards in Estate Planning, Business Planning and Remedies, J.D., 1981
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1977 (Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll, 1972- 1976)
- Maryland (1982)
- Federal (1984)
- Georgia (2006)
- MPT (Maryland Public Television): OUR MONEY AND BUSINESS – January 25, 2018
- MPT (Maryland Public Television) PLANNING AHEAD: What you need to know about Wills, Living Wills and Estate Planning – July 31, 2017 http://video.mpt.tv/video/3003350002/
- Life after Professional Sports – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SO4YqIlPc
- Taking Care of the Unique Legal Needs of Professional Athletes – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7MI2gpdbA
- How I Help Professional Athletes Prepare for Life After Sports, Baltimore Business Journal
- They Are Not Like Us: Representing the Rich and Famous, MSBA Bar Bulletin
- Protect Your Wealth, Retire Now America
- 5 Critical Questions Before Leaving an Inheritance, Bankrate.com
- Taking Care of the Unique Legal Needs of Professional Athletes – Chris Kidd & David Pessin
- Glenn Campbell Family Feud: Dementia Divides Many Clans
- The Art of the Infidelity Clause
- The Daily Record “Experts recommend everyone have a will”, “The other Mr. October: baseball players’ post-season prenups”, “Targeting an ‘underserved’ market, “MSA predicts loss with D.C. team at bat” and “Getting ready for jump to the pros, financially”
- The Baltimore Sun
- Family Magazine
- Maryland Magazine
- World Tennis
- Tennis U.S.A.
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient of the Maryland Bar Foundation’s 2010 Legal Excellence Award for The Advancement of Public Understanding of the Law
- Adjunct Professor, University of Baltimore School of Law, 1995-2008 – (Courses Taught: Trusts & Estates, Sports Law and Planning For Seniors & Their Families)
- Named Best Lawyers in America® Baltimore Area Lawyer of the Year for Sports and Entertainment Law, 2012 & 2015
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America® for Sports and Entertainment Law, 2006-2019
- Panel Member for Maryland Institute for the Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL)
- Member, Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- Member of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member of The Sports Lawyers Association (SLA)
- Board of Education Certified Instructor for the Maryland Health Underwriters Continuing Education Program, MACPAs
- Regular Presenter for the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Thirteen Time Maryland State Tennis Champion
- Ten-Time Mid-Atlantic Tennis Champion
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors, March of Dimes, Central Maryland Chapter
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors, Adoptions Together, Inc.
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2017