Mairi Pat Maguire
Mairi Pat has been defending complex medical malpractice claims on behalf of physicians, hospitals, nurses and other health care providers throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia for more than 25 years. In addition to her extensive trial and appellate experience, Mairi Pat represents health care providers in disciplinary and licensing proceedings before administrative agencies including the Maryland Board of Physicians, the Maryland Board of Nursing, The Maryland Board of Pharmacists, among others.
Mairi Pat is an AV® Preeminent TM rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, has been listed in Maryland Super Lawyers annually since 2011 and has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America for medical malpractice defense since 2012.
Mairi Pat is also a Registered Nurse with extensive health care knowledge and clinical experience in acute, chronic and critical care settings. She is a 1981 graduate of the St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing and earned her Bachelors of Science in Nursing from the Catholic University of America in 1983. After practicing nursing for over 10 years, Mairi Pat attended law school at the University of Baltimore School of Law and graduated cum laude, in 1992. She was a member of the University of Baltimore Law Review. She was inducted into Sigma Theta Tau, the national honor society for nursing in 2003. She has been on the faculty of The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing and continues to teach and give presentations and seminars on professional liability, quality assurance and risk management. She has served as a member of the Board for the Maryland Society of Healthcare Risk Management in various capacities since 2006.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D. 1992, cum laude)
- The Catholic University of America (B.S.N. 1983)
- St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing (Diploma in Nursing 1981)
- State of Maryland -1992
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland -1992
- District of Columbia -1994
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Board Member: Maryland-District of Columbia Society of Healthcare Risk Management
- Maryland Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, 2012 – 2013, 2015 – 2018
- Selected “Best Lawyers in America ®” for Insurance Law and Medical Malpractice Law Defendants, 2013 – 2019
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- University of Maryland Medical System Corp v. Malory, 143 Md. App. 327, 795 A.2d 107 (2001).
- Sterling v. Johns Hopkins Hospital, 145 Md. App. 161, 802 A.2d 440 (2002).
AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Malpractice Law, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
A.M. Best’s Insurance Attorneys