Brian M. Cathell
Brian M. Cathell is a Member in the Firm’s Medical Malpractice Defense Group. Brian has considerable experience defending medical malpractice cases, as well as defending physicians and other health care providers in various administrative forums. Mr. Cathell has handled professional liability matters in the District and Circuit Courts of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
Prior to moving to civil litigation, Brian was an Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore County where he tried hundreds of cases to verdict, including three First-Degree Murder jury trials. During his time there, Brian was given the responsibility of training new prosecutors and was frequently consulted by his colleagues regarding trial strategy and technique. He was also specially assigned to handle matters of a high-profile nature, some of which drew national media attention.
At Pessin Katz Law, Brian has remained successful in the courtroom. In August 2017, he obtained a unanimous jury verdict in favor of his physician client in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County. Recently, Brian has briefed and successfully argued numerous motions in the Circuit Courts regarding proximate causation and related areas of first impression. Additionally, Brian has worked as “first chair” in negotiating fair settlements on behalf of his clients at mediation.
Brian received his law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law. After graduating law school he clerked for the Honorable Mickey J. Norman in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County where he drafted opinions involving many areas of civil, criminal, and administrative law. Brian received his undergraduate degree from West Virginia University in public relations. Brian has worked hard to maintain a reputation of being congenial and fair while aggressively representing his clients.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. 2006-2009
- West Virginia University, B.A. Public Relations 2001-2005
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- District of Columbia Bar
- US District Court of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- District of Columbia Bar Association
Professional Training Highlights
- Obstetrical Safety Training, MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center (February 2018)
- Selected for inclusion in “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016 – 2018
- Member, Young Professional Board of Directors, The First Tee of Baltimore
- Maryland Defense Counsel, Judicial Nominating Committee
- Judge, Third Judicial Circuit Mock Trial Competition 2010-present
- MSAA Trial Advocacy Program, November 2009
- Maryland Rule 17-207 Mediation Certificate
- Benchmark 40 and Under Hotlist, 2018