Catherine W. Steiner
With extensive trial experience in the defense of serious medical malpractice and personal injury claims, Catherine has represented parties involved in litigation before trial courts throughout the State of Maryland and on appeal before the state’s intermediate and highest appellate courts. In addition to representing health care providers in medical malpractice actions, Catherine represents health care providers in disciplinary proceedings before administrative agencies of the State of Maryland.
In an effort to save her clients the contentiousness and expense of litigation if possible, Catherine provides risk management advice to health care facilities and takes an active role in early resolution of matters where warranted. She also has experience representing hospitals and physicians involved in internal credentialing and privileging proceedings and in other hospital governance matters.
An alumna of The Bryn Mawr School, Catherine received her undergraduate degree from Tufts University and worked for two years as a legal assistant before entering law school at the College of William and Mary’s Marshall-Wythe School of Law from which she graduated in 1991. Catherine is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America. She is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell, has been listed in Maryland Super Lawyers in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 and has been recognized in the areas of medical malpractice and professional malpractice law by The Best Lawyers of America® for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law (J.D. 1991)
- Tufts University (B.A. 1986)
- The Bryn Mawr School (1982)
- Maryland – 1991
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland – 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit – 2007
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- “You’re Not My Doctor!” The Expanding Scope of Informed Patient Consent. For the Defense, February 2002.
- Board Member: The Bryn Mawr School Alumnae Association, 2009-2013
- Committee Member: “Gastronomique” 2008 – Benefit for the Johns Hopkins Colon Cancer Center and the Colon Cancer Alliance
- Board Member: Towson YMCA 2001-2005
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, admitted in 2012
- Best Lawyers in America for Medical Malpractice Law and Professional Malpractice Law, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America – Professional Malpractice: Defendants – Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2009
- Selected as Maryland’s Super Lawyers, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Maryland Top 100 Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Maryland Top 50 Women Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Maryland Society of Healthcare Risk Managers
- Maryland Defense Counsel
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Wednesday Law Club
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell