David A. Burkhouse
Mr. Burkhouse is a Member with PK Law and is part of the firm’s Education, Labor and Employment Group. Mr. Burkhouse has litigated cases for a number of the firm’s school board clients in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, as well as the State of Maryland’s Circuit and District Courts. In addition Mr. Burkhouse routinely participates in administrative proceedings before the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings involving claims under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
As part of Mr. Burkhouse’s employment law practice he counsels and represents employers regarding employment discrimination claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. Mr. Burkhouse also advises employers with regard to non-compete agreements, restrictive covenants, arbitration agreements, trade secrets, confidentiality agreements, and employee hiring and termination procedures.
Prior to joining PK Law, Mr. Burkhouse served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Dennis M. Sweeney and the Honorable Timothy J. McCrone in the Circuit Court for Howard County. He also served as law clerk for the Forensics Division of the Maryland Office of the Public Defender, where he assisted with the criminal litigation of various emerging issues in forensic science.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 2007
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland, B.A., History, 2003
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Veterans Administration Board of Appeals
- President, Howard County Bar Association, 2013
- President-Elect for the Howard County Bar Association for 2012
- Treasurer, Howard County Bar Association, 2011
- Board Member at Large, Howard County Bar Association, 2009-2011
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, 2007
- Fellow, Maryland State Bar Association Leadership Academy, 2009-2010
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association Special Committee on Veteran’s Affairs and Military Law, 2010
- The Maryland Bar Foundation: Fellow
Prior to returning to school to pursue a legal career, Mr. Burkhouse served in the United States Army as an Airborne Ranger and an Infantry Reconnaissance Team Leader. Mr. Burkhouse, his wife, Katie, and their son, Aiden, reside in Sykesville, Maryland where they enjoy hiking, cycling, and other outdoor activities.
- Selected for inclusion in “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, 2011-2014 – 2017
- Howard County Bar Association’s “President’s Award For Professionalism”, 2012 and 2013
- Member – American Legion Post 223/Sykesville