Special Education Tip – Sweet Home Alabama – 99-2018
Missed Some Tips? Click HERE to access the full list of past Tips.
Rochelle’s Special Education Tips
Sweet Home Alabama
With the growing number of students receiving Home and Hospital Instruction (HHI), it is useful to highlight things you should keep in mind when a student is receiving HHI:
- Make sure the HHI teacher(s) are familiar with the HHI IEP.
- If data needs to be taken by the HHI teacher, teach the HHI teacher how to take data. Give the HHI teacher a format for taking data.
- You should make it a condition of employment for the HHI teacher to attend the IEP team meetings. It makes no sense to hold a meeting without the person who is providing instruction. If the HHI teacher cannot attend in person, require the HHI teacher to attend via telephone.
- Tell the HHI teacher not to spoon feed the student the test answers. Instruct the HHI teacher not to do the work for the student.
- Does anyone ever observe the HHI teacher? Just asking.
Rochelle’s Special Education Tips (“Tips”) are designed to be helpful and thought provoking, but should not be considered legal advice as they may not be accurate for use in all situations. Tips are based on my opinions and positions in accordance with federal and Maryland law and my over 35 years of experience in the special education legal field. – Rochelle S. Eisenberg, Esquire
Copyright © 2018 Pessin Katz Law, P.A. All rights reserved.
Tips may be reproduced for distribution within the educational institution, the individual school or school system and is for use by their staff. Additional distribution must be approved by author.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, please e-mail Rochelle S. Eisenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org, put “unsubscribe” in the subject line and your name will be removed.
10500 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044