Missed Some Tips? Click HERE to access the full list of past Tips.
Rochelle’s Special Education Tips
Hot Fun In The Summertime
As we jump from a never-ending winter to a hot summer, make sure your team members remember the following as they hold summer IEP meetings and plan for the coming school year:
- Never say anything like, “I can only fit in one session in per week as I am assigned to two schools.”
- Do not forego writing a Behavior Intervention Plan because you are putting BIP-type items in the Supplementary Aids portion of the IEP. Put these items in the BIP and not in the Supplementary Aids.
- Address emergency evacuation plans in every IEP. It is hidden on page one.
- When a parent drops an outside evaluation into your lap/mailbox/or at the IEP meeting, be sure to review it at an IEP team meeting. These documents seem to make guest appearances during the summer.
- Yes, IEP team meetings are held during the summer. While it is quite difficult to staff summer meetings, it is wrong to take the position that a meeting cannot be held during the summer. Principals should make sure they have the vacation schedules of essential team members before school lets out when there is a chance an IEP meeting will need to be scheduled.